Divar island is called Divaddi in Konkani, derived from the word Dipavati meaning ‘small Island’ in Konkani.
Beautiful location-located approximately upriver 10 km from Panaji (Panjim). The Island is connected to Old Goa on the south-east side, Ribandar, on the south-west side and Narve on the north side, all by ferry.
The Church of Our Lady of Compassion is designed by a Goan priest is known to be the first Christian structure erected here and is a charismatic building dating from the early 18th century. To the south side of the church one can see a remnant of the illustrious Kadamba era.
Entrance of St Mathias Church, built between 1591 and 1597.
The island is dotted with elegant Portuguese villas.
Temple at hilltop. The Island of Divar was a famous site of Hindu pilgrimage and hosted the ancient temples of Shree Saptakoteshwar,Shree Ganesh and Shree Dwarkeshwar besides others. These were destroyed by Portuguese zealots in the 16th century in their drive for the Christianization of Goa.
A chapel enclosed in a tiny walled cemetery which is known to have been converted from the former Hindu shrine. The Ganesh temple was earlier housed here and after being razed by the Portuguese the deity was later shifted to its present site at Candola.
Nearby chorao island has a bird sanctuary called Salim Ali Bird sanctuary which is one of the best-known bird sanctuaries in India. Divar has many waterbirds but is most popular for its regular evening passage of harriers flying to roost.
The famous Bonderam festival is celebrated in Divar on the fourth Saturday of August during the monsoon with great fanfare and attended by thousands of tourists and locals. Each section of the village has a float at the parade. Melodious music could be heard throughout the village. The gaily colored floats accompanied by colorfully dressed youngsters make a pretty picture.